Cleveland Indians: 4 candidates for Cleveland’s 2021 MVP
Cal Quantrill, SP, Cleveland Indians
When talking about value to a team there might not be a player on Cleveland’s roster that has offered more value to the organization this season than Cal Quantrill. While his stats don’t scream MVP, Quantrill has played multiple roles for the club this season and has performed well in almost every scenario.
More from Away Back Gone
- Cleveland Guardians tantalizingly close to locking up AL Central tiebreakers
- Cleveland Guardians: Terry Francona becomes meme in profanity-laced ejection
- Say goodbye to defensive shifts and hello to bigger bases, pitch clock in 2023
- Cleveland Guardians: Shane Bieber second-fastest to 800 strikeouts in major-league history
- The next week will make or break the Cleveland Guardians’ season
Quantrill began the season as Cleveland’s long reliever and played the role well. As a reliever he posted an ERA of 1.88 over 28.2 innings. When the injuries hit the team, Quantrill was needed in the rotation and while it took a few starts to get his feet under him in the rotation, he’s now set himself up to be part of the 2022 rotation with a strong performance.
Since the beginning of July, Quantrill has made 12 starts and has maintained an ERA of 2.49. He’s managed to cut down on his walks with just 23 over 72.1 innings while striking out 62 batters.
Given the way Cleveland’s season has gone, Quantrill could make a case for the team’s MVP. In a season that has witnessed a lot of road bumps, Quantrill has helped the team weather the storm. Statistically it might not seem like he should be the MVP, but in terms of value to the team he’s been almost priceless.