Cleveland Indians 3-point checklist to conclude the season
The Cleveland Indians need a one week preview of the 2022 rotation
The rotation for the 2022 season is coming into focus. There’s the Big Three from the 2016 MLB Draft and Cal Quantrill and Triston McKenzie have placed themselves as the front-runners for the other two spots. The only downside is we have yet to see the whole unit in action at the same time.
More from Away Back Gone
- Cleveland Guardians tantalizingly close to locking up AL Central tiebreakers
- Cleveland Guardians: Terry Francona becomes meme in profanity-laced ejection
- Say goodbye to defensive shifts and hello to bigger bases, pitch clock in 2023
- Cleveland Guardians: Shane Bieber second-fastest to 800 strikeouts in major-league history
- The next week will make or break the Cleveland Guardians’ season
Quantrill and McKenzie were given their opportunities to shine when injuries hit the other three, so there’s been pieces but never the whole picture. The good news is that Plesac and Quantrill are currently healthy (knock on wood) while Civale and McKenzie are almost back. McKenzie should be activated in the next 24 hours or so and Civale is making what will hopefully be his last rehab start.
That leaves just Shane Bieber to make his way back. Now, you don’t want to rush Bieber and if he gets shut down, that might end up being the better option. However, if time allows and Bieber can be 100% healthy for a start or two at the end of the season, seeing this full five work together through a week could be huge.
Starting pitching has been the lifeblood of Cleveland for a long time now and this unit will be no different. While we’re excited about the possibility of what they could do in 2022, seeing a brief sample could really create some buzz to close out the year.