Cleveland Indians: 3 teams that could trade for Cesar Hernandez
Cleveland Indians Trade Partner #3 for Cesar Hernandez: Chicago White Sox
More from Away Back Gone
- Cleveland Guardians tantalizingly close to locking up AL Central tiebreakers
- Cleveland Guardians: Terry Francona becomes meme in profanity-laced ejection
- Say goodbye to defensive shifts and hello to bigger bases, pitch clock in 2023
- Cleveland Guardians: Shane Bieber second-fastest to 800 strikeouts in major-league history
- The next week will make or break the Cleveland Guardians’ season
Trading within the division is really never advised, but in this case it might work out. The Chicago White Sox lost Nick Madrigal to injury earlier this season and have been using a committee to fill the void. With Madrigal as the second baseman of the future, Cesar Hernandez would only be needed this year, meaning the team could decline his option after the season.
The downside is that a rental trade package would be a little less coming to the Tribe, but it is an option. Hernandez would provide position stability for the rest of the season and a potential option for next year.
Since Madrigal went down the team has turned to Leury Garcia and Danny Mendick. Neither of them are hitting over .250 and they’ve combined for 14 doubles and five home runs, two stats that Hernandez has bested by himself.
At this point in the season it seems unlikely that the Tribe will be able to catch the White Sox in the division, so trading with them won’t really change much. If Hernandez is just a rental for Chicago, this move shouldn’t even be regarded as trading within the division because it wouldn’t really make a difference in the division this season.