Cleveland Indians Free Agent Option #3: Matt Kemp
This probably isn’t an option, but it just goes to show how little there is on the free agent market. The third best option for outfield help is Matt Kemp. While he’s only a few seasons removed from an All-Star performance in 2018, Kemp only played one game in the outfield in 2020 and just 17 in 2019.
More from Away Back Gone
- Cleveland Guardians tantalizingly close to locking up AL Central tiebreakers
- Cleveland Guardians: Terry Francona becomes meme in profanity-laced ejection
- Say goodbye to defensive shifts and hello to bigger bases, pitch clock in 2023
- Cleveland Guardians: Shane Bieber second-fastest to 800 strikeouts in major-league history
- The next week will make or break the Cleveland Guardians’ season
Now, this wouldn’t be the first time that Kemp could come out of the woodwork. The 2018 All-Star appearance was his first since 2012, so there’s no telling when his career could either end or be revived.
The 2020 season wasn’t spectacular for Kemp at the plate with a slash line of .239/.326/.419 and just six home runs, but that might end up being better than the internal options of the club. Neither Oscar Mercado or Daniel Johnson have been able to eclipse those numbers in Triple-A, let alone the majors.
Being 36-years old, Kemp would most likely be a cheap option on the books. Statistically he isn’t great and who knows if he can still play the field, but there just aren’t very many free agent options to consider. Worst comes to worst, he could be a last resort, but hopefully it doesn’t come to that for the Cleveland Indians.