Wednesday Sept. 2, 8:05 p.m. EST
Probable Starters: Triston McKenzie (1-0, 2.70 ERA) vs. Danny Duffy (2-2, 4.11)
The Indians will finish off their series with the Royals by sending Triston McKenzie to the mound for his third major league start.
McKenzie struck out 10 batters in a win over the Tigers in his MLB debut earlier this month but struggled with his command in his most recent outing against the Cardinals as he lasted just four innings and took a no-decision.
Wednesday will be the 23-year-old right-handers’ first career start against the division-rival Royals.
While the Indians will send their youngest arm to the mound, Kansas City will go to their veteran as 31-year old right-hander Danny Duffy will make the start in the series finale.
Duffy faced the Indians on opening day and pitched 4.1 innings that saw him allow two runs and give up two runs as he suffered the loss.
More from Away Back Gone
- Cleveland Guardians: Terry Francona becomes meme in profanity-laced ejection
- Say goodbye to defensive shifts and hello to bigger bases, pitch clock in 2023
- Cleveland Guardians: Shane Bieber second-fastest to 800 strikeouts in major-league history
- The next week will make or break the Cleveland Guardians’ season
- The Cleveland Guardians offense is suddenly inept
Carlos Santana has been a nightmare for Duffy as in 38 at-bats, the Indians’ first basemen is hitting .421 with three home runs and eight RBI’s against the Royal right-hander. Lindor has also had success against Duffy as he’s hit two home runs off the former World Series champion.