Sunday Aug. 30, 2:15 p.m. EST
Probable Starters: Aaron Civale (3-3, 3.15) vs. Adam Wainwright (2-0, 2.88)
Cleveland will finish their three-game set in St. Louis by sending right-hander Aaron Civale to the mound.
Civale is 3-3 so far this season with a 3.15 in six starts. While he struggled in his most recent outing against the Twins, he just two starts removed from pitching his first career complete game when he allowed just one run and struck out six in a victory over the Pirates.
No Cardinals hitters have ever faced the 25-year old right-hander as he’s entering just his second big league season.
St. Louis will counter with two-time World Series champion and 15-year veteran right-hander Adam Wainwright.
Wainwright was once among baseball’s most dominant pitchers as he’s a three-time all-star, led the NL in wins twice and three-time gold glove award winner.
In four starts this season, the 38-year old right-hander is 2-0 with a 2.88 ERA as he continues to reinvent himself as a pitcher without the high velocity he had as a younger pitcher.
More from Away Back Gone
- Cleveland Guardians tantalizingly close to locking up AL Central tiebreakers
- Cleveland Guardians: Terry Francona becomes meme in profanity-laced ejection
- Say goodbye to defensive shifts and hello to bigger bases, pitch clock in 2023
- Cleveland Guardians: Shane Bieber second-fastest to 800 strikeouts in major-league history
- The next week will make or break the Cleveland Guardians’ season
Just three Indians have faced Wainwright in their career’s. Franmil Reyes is 0-2 in two-at bats, Cesar Hernandez is 1-6 with a home run in six-at bats and Domingo Santana is 4-12 with five strikeouts in 12 at-bats.